Pinterest Button

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Wedding Gown Emergency PART 2



Decision Number One: I will not dismantle this dress. I do not have time. I could do it right if the wedding were later in the year, but that is not the case. I need another option.










Decision Two: Cover up the mess by blending in the solution. I will put some kind of treatment around the damaged area to cover it. The challenge? Make it look like it belongs there, like it came that way from the factory. In other words, create a design element.

One piece of ribbon around the top is going to look stupid. It will look like exactly was it is... a last minute attempt to hide something! But three pieces of ribbon, now that's a possibility.




Decision Three: Find ornate ribbon or plain ribbon that can be layered.

The dress has ruching across the bodice. I would like to mimic that. The only ribbon I can find on such short notice in a matching color, is plain and ¼" wide. I bought enough to make my own trim that will be a layering of three ribbons.








I used a fabric glue to glue three lengths of ribbon together. I overlapped them slightly and used a thin bead of glue. I made the strips 40+ inches long.>


I now need a way to attach this ribbon stack to the upper edge of the dress. The machine is not going to work. It may cause additionaly fraying by putting it under the presser foot. It will also create a wobbly semline because of all the stitching and boning already in the dress. The only choice I have is to hand stitch it.





I practiced with little strips until I got a look I liked. The stitches have now become part of the design, and I really like the look. Though it took a little extra time, I'm really excited about the results.










I need to keep the top edge of the ribbon along the top edge of the dress. Attention to detail will pay off. I begin to attach the ribbon, with the hand stitches equally distant from each other. It's just a little time consuming, but I really do love hand work.









Keeping the edges aligned and the ribbon kind of taut, I attached it from one end to the other.











Here is how it is turning out. I will post pictures tomorrow of the finished dress.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment